The Yasnaya Polyana Prize Long List for the 2021 Foreign Literature Award Has Been Announced
Moscow, March 4, 2021 - The co-founders of the Yasnaya Polyana literary prize, the Leo Tolstoy Estate Museum and Samsung Electronics have announced the long list of their 2021 Foreign Literature award category. The long list of the award includes 43 books by foreign authors from across 20 countries around the world - this is the most extensive list in this category since the award began.
The Foreign Literature award selects the most important book of the 21st century and its translation into Russian. The long list of nominations is formed by experts: literary critics, translators and publishers. There is no short list in this category. The laureate of the "Foreign Literature" award, a foreign author, receives 1, 200, 000 rubles. The translator of the book receives an award of 500,000 thousand rubles. The name of the laureate is announced in October at the Yasnaya Polyana award ceremony. The name of the laureate is announced in October at the Yasnaya Polyana award ceremony.
“Today we are presenting the long list in the Foreign Literature award, which includes 43 books from 20 countries. Traditionally, the list is formed by experts. Several works have appeared in our previous long lists and we do not exclude such nominations as we are always happy to draw attention to a worthy book. I would like to separately recognise the work of translators who provide us with the opportunity to become acquainted with amazing world literature, and thanks to whom there is a huge number of translated works in our country,” said Vladimir Tolstoy, Chair of the jury and Adviser to the President of the Russian Federation for Culture and Art.
“This year marks the 30th anniversary of Samsung’s presence in Russia. And I am proud that literally from our first days here we have actively supported culture and the arts in this country. We see how the world around us is actively changing, what changes are taking place, especially over the past year, but we have a solid foundation on which we can rely on. First and foremost, this is culture and literature, and it is no coincidence that our friendship with Yasnaya Polyana has been around for almost 20 years. We are pleased to see that the award is the most authoritative award in Russia, a navigator for Russian and foreign literature, and not only for readers, but also for libraries that regularly rely on the lists of Yasnaya Polyana to purchase books," commented Sergei Pevnev, Director for Corporate Projects at Samsung Electronics for CIS countries.
The prize for "Foreign Literature" was first awarded in 2015. Since then, the long list of the "Foreign Literature" award of the Yasnaya Polyana Prize has been considered as a navigator in the field of contemporary foreign literature. Past winners include: Ruth Ozeki (“A Tale for the Time Being”, translator - Ekaterina Ilyina), Orhan Pamuk (“A Strangeness in Mind”, translator - Apollinaria Avrutina), Mario Vargas Llosa (“The Discreet Hero“, translator - Kirill Korkonosenko), Amos Oz ("Judas", translator - Viktor Radutsky), Hernan Rivera Letelier ("The Art of Resurrection", translator - Daria Sinitsyna) and Patricia Dunker ("James Miranda Barry", translators - Alexandra Borisenko and Victor Sonkin).
Basinsky Pavel Valerievich, writer, literary critic;
Varlamov Alexey Nikolaevich, writer, researcher of Russian literature of the 20th century, President of the Literary Institute;
Vodolazkin Evgeny Germanovich, writer, Doctor of Philology, laureate of the Yasnaya Polyana literary prize;
Valentin Yakovlevich Kurbatov, writer, literary critic;
Otroshenko Vladislav Olegovich, writer, laureate of the Yasnaya Polyana literary prize;
Tolstoy Vladimir Ilyich, chair of the jury, adviser to the President of the Russian Federation for Culture and Art.
Experts Nominating for the Foreign Literature Award of the Yasnaya Polyana Prize:
- Apollinaria Avrutina - Turkologist, orientalist, translator, laureate of the Yasnaya Polyana prize
- Elena Baibikova - translator, associate professor of the Department of Russian Philology, University of Foreign Languages (Kobe, Japan)
- Anna Babyashkina - editor-in-chief of the publishing house "Livebook"
- Irina Bachkalo - copyright director of the publishing house "Sinbad"
- Lisa Birger - literary critic
- Alexandra Borisenko - translator, teacher, laureate of the Yasnaya Polyana award
- Mikhail Vizel - literary translator, chief editor of the site GodLiterature.RF
- Varvara Gornostaeva - editor-in-chief of the Corpus publishing house
- Lev Danilkin - writer
- Olga Drobot - translator, specialist in Scandinavian literature
- Anastasia Zavozova - translator, editor-in-chief of the Storytel audio book service
- Igor Kirienkov - critic, chief editor of Kinopoisk HD
- Natalia Kochetkova - special correspondent for Lenta.ru
- Irina Kravtsova - editor-in-chief of the publishing house Ivan Limbakh
- Boris Kupriyanov - director of the Gorky website, founder of the Falanster bookstore
- Alexander Livergant - editor-in-chief of the journal "Foreign Literature"
- Natalia Lomykina - Forbes literary columnist, host on Sputnik radio
- Shashi Martynova - translator, editor
- Konstantin Milchin - literary critic, editor-in-chief of the Gorky portal
- Anastasia Milekhina - Head of the Center for German Books in Moscow / Representative Office of the Frankfurt Book Fair in Russia
- Yegor Mikhailov - editor of Afisha Daily, literary critic
- Sergey Morozov - literary critic
- Maria Osetrova - Orientalist, Senior Researcher at the Center for Korean Studies of the Institute for the Far East of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of Oriental Languages, Faculty of Translation, Moscow State Linguistic University
- Alina Perlova - translator
- Alexey Polyarinov - writer, translator
- Julia Rautbort - Head of the Department of Contemporary Foreign Prose of the Eksmo Publishing House
- Elena Rybakova - literary critic, editor
- Yuri Saprykin - head of the educational project "Shelf"
- Viktor Sonkin - translator, writer, laureate of the Yasnaya Polyana prize
- Alla Steinman - director of the "Phantom-Press" publishing house
- Galina Yuzefovich - literary critic, columnist for Meduza